Twenty Twenty-Two: A Year-End Post

 


“2022 is definitely a year full of new beginnings."

Hello, everyone! I am once again back with a year-end post. Like in 2021, this year is such an eventful year and it will be a waste if I don't write a blog post about it. So here it goes~

2022 is the year that I was a bit scared to face. It is a year full of uncertainties, primarily because of the Bar Exam, where the results can either make or break my life. Thankfully though, all went well, and the rest was history.

So now, I will share with you the highlights of my 2022. Let's start!

January

Continuation of Bar Review, More Bar Operation Care Kits, More Bar Exam Postponements


At this point, most, if not all of us bar takers were already jittery since the Bar Exam was fast approaching. 

The previous resetting was on January 16, 23, 30, and February 6, 2022. But then, due to Typhoon Odette and the all-so-sudden COVID omicron outbreak which caused the number of COVID cases to soar to an all-time high, it was once again reset to January 23 and 25, 2022. But due to the adverse effects of the omicron outbreak, it was reset to February 4 and 6, 2022, which is the final resetting.

If you're wondering why the Bar Exam schedule was shortened to two (2) days, the Bar Chair decided to reformat the Bar Exam primarily as a way to mitigate the effects of the COVID outbreak. This was an entirely new approach in the history of the Bar Exam, which none of us has prepared for. Thankfully though, the syllabus was shortened, but still, all of us were fretting over downloading new resources and review materials. I am glad though that there were a lot of good samaritans who offered to help. The review center I enrolled in had lecturers who uploaded notes, and there are also those fellow bar takers who uploaded their own notes as well.

Many of us bar takers were already tired of all these uncertainties since our Bar Exam was reset three (3) times. I was even worried about how my manifestations will turn out since the schedules kept changing. Nevertheless, this was all fine with me though since I was actually very sick and I even had a COVID scare of my own, and I needed enough time to recover or at least get better. I had a high fever, then there were days when I had a clogged nose and I found it hard to breathe. On most days I had whooping cough which never went away, even until the day of the Bar Exam. I tried all sorts of remedies to cure my cough, but all those did not work. There were times when I thought that I'm almost getting better, but as the days went by, it got worse.

Apart from the Bar Exam itself, I was also anxious about the results of my antigen test, since if I get a "positive" result, all my efforts in studying will go to waste. For the second half of January 2022, I did my best to really focus on studying despite how distracting my cough is. It was such a struggle when every one of us in the family got sick. I am amazed how I even managed to even study despite my condition. I could not even test myself for COVID every time since I only bought two antigen test kits. I tested myself for the first time at the onset of my COVID-like symptoms which was on January 14, 2022, but thankfully the result is "negative" so that was what I kept holding on to, which was why I was able to motivate myself to study.

February

Antigen Test and Bar Exam



This is it. 

This is the moment we have been waiting for.

No more postponements. The Bar Exam must go on.

But first, we must all go through this dreaded COVID antigen test to be administered by the Supreme Court in collaboration with the City Health Office. If God forbid, one tests "positive," although there may still be an option to get a COVID RT-PCR test to make sure if the result is merely a false positive or not, due to time constraints (since the antigen test was administered two (2) days before the Bar Exam), getting an unfavorable result is as good as telling yourself to prepare for the next Bar Exam instead. That is how scary that COVID antigen test is. 

Unlike the Bar Exam itself where we can control the outcome to some extent by studying, we cannot really control the outcome of the antigen test at all. As for me, despite rarely getting in contact with the outside world during the entire Bar review, I still got sick. I am also aware that despite not getting any symptoms, COVID can still manifest itself through a "positive" antigen test, so we can never really be too careful.

Thankfully though, when I tested myself for the second time, which was the day before the Supreme Court administered antigen test, I tested "negative." But despite that, I was still really anxious since we can never really tell what tomorrow brings. I prayed really hard that I will still get a "negative" result on the day itself.

Fortunately, though, I tested "negative" on the Supreme Court antigen test which was held on February 2, 2022 (2-2-22: A lucky date for me, I guess? Hehe). I was so happy since I was given a chance to fight. I really felt like I had a strong chance to pass the Bar Exam since I believed that the antigen test was harder to pass. I can finally focus a bit more on studying for the Bar Exam itself since that heavy burden embodied as a COVID antigen test is finally over.

For the first day of the Bar Exam (February 4, 2022), I was really anxious the night before, but thankfully though, I was still able to get five (5) hours of sleep, so I was able to compose myself in answering the Bar Exam questions. Although we cannot really say that an exam is easy, I am just glad that I was able to answer those questions to the best of my ability and everything seemed familiar. Most of the questions were answerable if we understood the concepts, and they are all within the shortened syllabus provided by the Bar Bulletin.

Since my cough wasn't getting any better, I still kept coughing for the entire duration of the exam, but I was a bit relieved when almost everyone else was also coughing like me, so I did not feel alone. Haha. Even though almost all of us were coughing, we were all assured that we were not suffering from COVID since every one of us in that room tested "negative" on the antigen test.

On the second day of the Bar Exam (February 6, 2022), this was when I kinda had a hard time. I was only able to get two (2) or three (3) hours of sleep the night before. I was also not able to finish reviewing everything that there is to study. There were questions that I was not so sure of the answers to because I was not able to finish reviewing the concepts at the last minute. I was so worried because what if my scores aren't enough for me to pass? 

But despite that, when the Bar Exam is finally finished, I felt relieved, and I left everything up to God. I was just so happy that it finally ended, and I survived.

Post-Bar

Well, that concludes my Bar Exam journey. So the waiting game begins.

A week after the Bar, my cough was finally gone. So my persistent coughing was primarily just due to stress from the Bar Exam. I finally gave myself time to relax and do nothing. I took a lot of naps. I made sure to get enough rest. My answers on the exam haunted me every now and then, but I did my best to shrug it off and prayed to God that I will pass the Bar. I dismissed anyone from talking to me about the answers since I was never comfortable discussing them. I dread it every time I see a post on suggested Bar Exam answers since all those doubts will come creeping in once again and make me miserable.

Since I cannot be alone with my thoughts in this state, I decided to join my first cousin's law office and work there. Thankfully though, my first cousin agreed and welcomed me to his office. I really hope that I was and am not a liability to the office though and it kinda gives me a bit of pressure, but I tried to do my best. I worked as a paralegal and made documents for clients. I was and still am not comfortable with giving legal advice though since I am not yet confident, even until now. But at least I'm learning day by day.

Aside from these, our family also welcomed new goats and they looked almost exactly like our goat and kid (Leni and Choco) who died back in December 2021.

This is Milky. She looks like our deceased goat Leni.

This is Chiqui. She looks like our deceased kid Choco.


Rody really wanted to mate with them already but these goats were still barely four (4) months old. Unfortunately, though, Rody died on October 4, 2022, without being able to mate with these goats. We actually waited for these goats to turn one (1) year old last September 30, 2022, so that Rody can finally mate with them, but on that date, Rody suddenly got paralyzed and was not feeling well due to unknown causes, until he died days later.


March

Nothing much really happened this month though, except that I joined many group chats on Messenger to get updates and gossip regarding the Bar Exam results day. Some might not be comfortable with reading gossip about when the results might come out or what could be the passing rate, but this actually helps with my anxiety and at least I can expect updates to some extent. At least I knew when to start getting more anxious. Haha.

April

Results Day (April 12, 2022)

Once again, this is it, the moment of truth. This is the moment when I got really, really anxious. I even took a half-day off the day before just so I could calm myself down and pray the hardest I ever did since the beginning. I also took a day off on the results day itself (as I should, I guess, or else I might break down anytime in front of clients at the office lol). I was really planning to stay at home all day and just stay in my room, but I was sent on an errand at the City Hall for my brother's requirements. Well, it's good that I had the opportunity to go outside since the Cathedral is just a walk away from the City Hall, so while waiting for the requirements to be ready, I and my youngest brother went to the Cathedral to pray for my Bar results and to calm down my anxious heart. 

I couldn't even stop crying since I was so scared. I did my best to stop thinking about the worst-case scenario. I was so fearful of the thought that if I get an unfavorable result, God forbid, it will drive me into depression and I could not even face other people anymore, and even if I do recover, it will leave a huge scar inside me and I might not be strong enough to survive the burden. I was crying for almost two (2) hours, and I was still crying when I found out about the results. Here's why:


I PASSED THE BAR, with flying colors, too!!!

A close friend of mine was the first person to call me regarding the result, and she told me to go online so that I could see it for myself. I was already happy enough that I passed the Bar Exam, and I was getting countless congratulatory messages from my family and friends. Both my parents congratulated me shortly after my close friend's phone call, and I was told by my Papa that from that moment on, I should present myself with dignity since I already have an "Attorney" to my name. I can really tell that my parents are really proud of me and that makes me so happy.

But that does not end there. More news came out since the Supreme Court released the List of Successful Examinees with Excellent and Exemplary Performance. My phone back then was really holding on to dear life since it already had a faulty battery and it kept lagging, but when it momentarily went okay, I saw that I was among those specially mentioned for some reason, and it was then that I found out that I was actually one of those who managed to be on the Exemplary list. I was one of those who garnered a rating of 85 to 90%. I couldn't be happier with the news!

God really gave me more than what I prayed for, although I did hope that I could be among the Exemplary Passers. I'm just glad that God answered my prayers. This is the very highlight of my 2022. Although I was not yet full-fledged, I am just happy enough that this result will pave the way for my soon-to-be legal practice. With this result, everything else will follow. Soon enough, I will have the license to help and defend those in need. I may not have the noblest intentions since all I want from the start is to achieve my childhood dream, to be respected, and to be someone whom anyone can depend on in times of legal trouble, but I know that as I continue to practice my profession, I can realize my true purpose.

Thank You so much, Lord!!

First time being a bridesmaid at a wedding (April 29, 2022)



If my Bar results turned out badly, honestly I would have called off my attendance for this wedding since I wouldn't have the will to live anymore, but thankfully God gave me the opportunity to attend this wedding. I am just so happy that I was part of this beautiful event. Everything was just so perfect and it was really an ideal wedding. This was my first time being the bridesmaid, and I'm not so sure what my role would be in the next wedding that I will be attending. Will I still be a bridesmaid or finally, a bride? I can't even think of marrying just yet since I don't have enough savings at the moment. Not sure if I'll ever get married though. Haha.

I really ate a lot during the wedding since everything was so delicious. Everyone was so glammed up during the wedding, most especially the main stars of the event -- the bride and the groom. Shoutout to my first cousin and his wife. If you're reading this, I would like to extend my congratulations, I really enjoyed the wedding and I'm really happy for you!

May

Oathtaking (May 2, 2022)

All cleared for the oathtaking. Here it goes~

VIP seat for me. Yay!

Me with a mask and a clearer view of the Supreme Court logo

Me without the mask (and some people in the background lol)

With my Exemplary friends

The stage

With our Dean

With my law school close friends who have been with me since Day One

The oathtaking was held in SM Mall of Asia (MOA) Arena, so we had to fly to Manila to attend the event. I'm happy though that we get to have a face-to-face event after some COVID restrictions were lifted. There were a lot of preparations just for this attendance and we even had a hard time finding a good hotel to stay in, and we did spend a lot on flight tickets. Nevertheless, everything was worth it.

Justice Leonen's speech was so insightful and he even gave recognition to us as Excellent and Exemplary Passers. He gave us words of encouragement and reminded all of us of our noble duty as lawyers. Thank you so much, Justice Leonen, our Bar Chairperson.

Roll Signing (May 26, 2022)

Then here's one last step to becoming a full-fledged lawyer, the Roll Signing. Here are some pictures:

My youngest brother accompanied me at the Roll Signing.

Signed!


Me with my youngest brother.



As of May 26, 2022, I am now a full-fledged lawyer bearing Roll No. 81xxx. Thank You, Lord!

June

First Court Appearance (June 22, 2022)

I was not able to take any pictures relating to this one, but I would like to thank my first cousin for this opportunity and my father for mentoring me and helping me with all that there is to prepare for my first court appearance. It was also my first time memorizing how I should make my appearance in court, and due to my nervousness, I had to write down what I need to say. Thankfully though, my first court appearance went well, or at least enough for a first-timer like me.

July

Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) Testimonial Dinner (July 16, 2022)

The IBP pin

Justice Dimaampao as the Guest Speaker

Guest Speaker

With my batchmates

With Justice Dimaampao and batchmates

This is the first IBP event that I have attended. This event was primarily to honor those who got appointed and elected in the government and to welcome new Bar Passers to the IBP.

Finally Commissioned as Notary Public (July 19, 2022)




After many requirements, a publication, and an oath, I can finally notarize documents (within my jurisdiction). Thank You, Lord!

August

Xavier University (XU) Law Testimonial Dinner (August 29, 2022)



I have finally attended a school event as a lawyer. I gave my testimony about my law school and Bar journey. I was not so sure if my testimony was heard by the crowd back then since I only realized later on how my voice was not loud enough to engage the audience. But anyway, at least I was able to reflect on myself a bit regarding my journey to becoming a lawyer.

Here is the full speech that I made, though I shortened this speech at the event because of the time limit. 

Testimonial Speech

Behind every achievement are stories about struggles and sacrifices just to get there. 

As for me, I had my fair share of those stories. 

As you already know, becoming a lawyer has always been my childhood dream, but I knew it would not be easy. 

I tried to do well in my academics ever since I started studying. I always made it a point to become an honor student. I knew that good grades will take me a long way, although at times I'm just competitive and I just wanted to have an award. Either way, this went on even until Law School and in reviewing for the Bar exam. 

This goal of mine, wanting to become a lawyer, has caused me to be anxious most of the time. In Law School, every time I arrive at school and before going to class, I always went to the chapel and prayed to God hoping that I will not get called for oral recitations, or if I get called, hopefully, it will be on a question that I know the answer to, and the same goes for quizzes and exams, where I pray to God that I will be able to answer all or most of the questions well. All these, I pray with an anxious heart. I always thought that one bad recitation, quiz, or exam will either make or break my grade. 

I not only prayed though. I always went to the library early in the afternoon every day to study, and those who see me there regularly know that there's that one favorite spot of mine where I used to always sit unless someone else took over it. This went on for 3 years. 

Then, the COVID-19 pandemic came into my final exam week in 3rd year and in 4th year, which is my last year in Law School. It wasn't easy for me to adjust. Those habits of mine which I used to do before the pandemic suddenly had to change. I studied in my room instead, trying hard to keep myself awake, since it's easier to be tempted to take a nap when I'm in my room. I still prayed before logging into class though. Also, instead of writing by hand my answers in quizzes and exams, we had to type them. Thank goodness though, I have practiced typing fast for so many years, which is a plus for me. 

Fast forward to the Bar review I got anxious even more. I heard a lot about having to be really serious during the Bar review. I even heard some say that they used to study for 12 hours a day, although they had a one-day break each week. 

As for me though, I wouldn't say that I was overly serious all the time in studying, although I study for a minimum of 8 hours and a maximum of 12 hours a day. I studied for 12 hours a day only at that time when I had to finish my Criminal Law which was in 2 volumes since I was constrained to finish it in just about a week just so I could still read it the 2nd time. I even went as far as finishing 300 pages a day due to that target. But if one reading is enough for you to remember everything, please don't be like me. We all have our own study habits, and you don't have to change yours just so you could be like the others. 

Also, despite studying for many hours a day, I still had time to fangirl over KPOP though, particularly, ATEEZ. Fangirling over ATEEZ kept me sane all throughout my Bar review and served as one of my inspirations, and I jokingly told myself, once I become a lawyer, I could finally afford going to their concerts, but unfortunately, I haven't saved enough for their concert yet. Haha Going back, not only did I study much more than I did all throughout my academic life, I tried to keep myself healthy and did my best to avoid COVID. I succeeded that though since I never got COVID all throughout my Bar review, although I had a really bad flu a month before the Bar exam, thankfully it wasn't COVID, and I knew that since I administered antigen tests on myself twice and they were negative. 

But I definitely had a COVID scare at that time. Like what if, I was not given a chance to fight? What if, on that very same day when the Supreme Court administered the antigen test, it came out positive? That was one of my biggest fears, but thankfully, the result came out negative, and the rest was history. I was able to take the Bar exam, and I passed with Exemplary Performance, which I only hoped for, but I never knew that I'd actually achieve that level. 

Some may say that our Bar exam was easy, but I beg to disagree. Would anyone dare say that it was easy when they were struggling to survive each day in Law School up until the Bar exam? Would it still be easy when they were the ones who had to go through countless postponements, without any certainty as to when we will finally take the Bar exam? Would it be easy when they were reviewing at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, putting themselves at risk of catching COVID themselves, but they had to shrug this off as if nothing is happening just so they could focus on reviewing for the Bar exam? No one else will understand our struggles except bar takers themselves, particularly this batch. 

But even though no one else understands fully our struggles, still, I am thankful for everyone who became part of my journey in becoming a lawyer. First of all, I thank my family for being so supportive and for doing their best to provide me with everything I need for the Bar review and the Bar exam. I also thank all my friends for supporting me in their own way and for conducting their own bar operations. I thank the ALS and EBK for their bar operations as well. I would like to also thank all my professors for doing their best to teach us, and I'm happy to say that I was able to use the Bar exam techniques that they taught us, which was one of the reasons why I was able to pass the Bar with Exemplary Performance. And last, but not least, I would like to thank God for answering my prayers and for guiding me all throughout my Bar review. I wouldn't have achieved passing the Bar, more so with Exemplary Performance, if it weren't for God, and for everyone who has helped me. 

Once again, thank you everyone, and good evening.

September

First Birthday as a Lawyer

Nothing much really happened, except that on September 12, 2022, it was my first birthday as a lawyer. I really expected this birthday to be a really busy one since it is a Monday, but thankfully it was not too busy for me and I was still able to celebrate my day. Like my usual birthdays, it was a simple one with lots of food, of course.

October

First Out-of-Town Hearing


This was rather a surprise hearing for me. I had never mentally prepared myself for this. I never expected to have this kind of experience so soon. It seemed like a spontaneous trip for me, and although the hearing itself made me anxious, I am happy that I can finally travel a bit far away as a lawyer. I had a good time in Jasaan though and my clients were so accommodating. I learned that the only difference between hearings in my hometown and in other towns is only the distance and the environment, and everything else is the same. I am really thankful to my first cousin for giving me this impromptu experience. Actually, I did not know beforehand that I will be traveling out of town for this hearing since I was only given the folder to study, and I was only told that I will be going to Jasaan when it was time to go, so it was indeed a surprise for me. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it and I learned a lot from this.

November

Getting my Student Permit

I couldn't post a picture of my student permit for security purposes, but I'm glad that I am finally taking steps in learning how to drive. I finished a 15-hour online theoretical course before getting my student permit, and I learned a lot from it. I just hope I can properly apply what I have learned when I get to drive on the road soon.

December

Practical Driving Course

Well, the time has come when I am finally able to drive on the road, albeit with an instructor. It was a two-session course for four (4) hours each. On the first day, we went to nursery roads where there weren't a lot of people and vehicles, but I still had to drive on the main roads though when it was time to go back to the driving school. 

On the second day, it was I who drove for the entire 4-hour session, and it was nerve-wracking. Haha. I found it hard to stay in my lane. I cannot seem to automatically turn on my signal light when I needed to turn left or right. I had a hard time remembering to check my side mirrors always whenever I needed to turn in other directions. There were times when I almost hit some parked cars on narrow roads. There were also moments when I went too slow or too fast. Due to my nervousness, I cannot control my foot in stepping on the brake since it's either I step on it too slow or too hard, and when I can actually step on it the right way, I find it hard to determine whether I should already step on the accelerator to go back to my pace. This made me lose confidence in driving and I realize how great of a responsibility it is to really be careful on the road. As of now, it may be hard for me to gain back the confidence to learn how to drive on actual roads, but I do hope that I get there.

I would like to thank my instructor though for his utmost patience, even though he lost his temper at times. I apologize for how bad I was in driving. I hope I'll get better soon though.

Other moments in between

Another Out-of-Town Hearing

In Initao with my officemates

Once again, another spontaneous out-of-town hearing. It was also a worthwhile experience just like my first one. There weren't a lot of people in court just like in the usual setting of hearings in my hometown, and there was only one (1) case heard by the Judge at that time. 

Favorable case outcomes and achievements:

  • Two (2) winning cases in a quasi-judicial court 
  • One (1) criminal case permanently dismissed in my client's favor 
  • One (1) civil case which was provisionally dismissed 
  • Two (2) provisionally dismissed criminal cases
  • Received a Certificate of Appreciation for serving as a Legal Aid Lawyer

Yes, these are my achievements as a practicing lawyer this year. Most of these though were done by my luck, I guess. I just kept praying though that things will go well in every hearing. Thank You, Lord.

To be honest, I had my fair share of ups and downs throughout my practice. There were even times when I was reprimanded by Judges, and even clients, due to things that were beyond my control. Nevertheless, it's all a learning experience and I believe that someday, I will be a great lawyer like those lawyers within my family tree, and also those that newbies like me can look up to.

Ending Credits

I would like to thank everyone who has been part of my life this year. 

I thank my family for supporting me all throughout my last days of Bar review and on the Bar Exam itself, as well as for mentoring me all throughout my early days of law practice. I could not have done it without you.

I thank my friends and my Bar buddies for helping me in their own way and for being my support system all throughout law school and Bar review. Thank you for keeping me sane.

I thank my officemates, most especially my first cousin, who is also my senior lawyer, for providing me with a jumpstart for my professional career. I really learned a lot of things that can help me become better and be someone worthy of being in the legal profession. 

Here is a picture of my officemates, too bad though that I don't have a picture with my first cousin.

Thankful for having officemates who are easy to get along with.

Most importantly, thank You, Lord, for guiding me always. Thank You for always being there for me when I needed You. Thank You so much for answering all my prayers this year and for giving me more than what I asked for. This may not be a perfect year, but so far this is one of the best years that I have lived in my life.

I really do hope that the year 2023 will also be a great year like this year 2022.

This time, I don't really ask for much, unlike these past years. All I want is for me and all my loved ones to stay healthy and safe. I do hope though that soon enough, we will finally be financially stable. Most of us are not really that well off lately due to the high inflation, but I hope we can all get through this.

I also pray for more blessings to come for all of us, as well as more worthwhile learning experiences.

I also wish to travel more in the year 2023 and have enough money for it.

I hope that 2023 will be a year full of opportunities for me to become better as a lawyer.

Once again, thank You, Lord.

Have a happy and prosperous new year, everyone!

I wish you all the best, please stay healthy and safe, and see you in 2023!

No comments

What can you say? :)